Couple: Thando and Ekow Duker
Venue: Victoria Falls Hotel, Zimbabwe
Our ceremony was held outdoors in the gardens, with a view over the Falls in the distance. Right after we’d said our vows, a rainbow appeared over the Falls… it was the most amazing moment, as if we were being blessed
HOW TO ORGANISE THE PERFECT WEDDING AWAY FROM HOME:
- A hotel away from home is ideal if you want a location where everybody can get together for a few days in a magical setting to enjoy a holiday and celebrate a wedding at the same time. It’s particularly good if, like us, you have guests who are coming from all over the world.
- Don’t be afraid to go overboard and choose something special for your wedding. After all, this is your day, and you should be able to go all out to make it the best day of your life
- Choose the best photographer you can afford. Those photographs will be with you for the rest of your life, as a reminder of this special day.
- Plan everything carefully in advance, and try and work out what to do in case there are pitfalls, so that you are organized and can totally relax on the big day.
- If you are visiting a location away from home, it’s important to make sure everybody gets there at least two days in advance, so that they can get to know each other. We had a dinner on the Friday night to break the ice, so by the Saturday everybody was relaxed and ready to celebrate.
- There are so many advantages of having your wedding at an hotel – everything is organized for you, and you can spend the first night of your honeymoon there, which means you don’t have to rush off early and leave your guests at the reception.
- Another great plus for having a wedding at an hotel – they literally spoil you as if you’re a celebrity… the wedding package included massages the morning of the wedding¸and they upgraded us to the honeymoon suite for our first night… sheer bliss!
- The best tip I have for a new bride… if you’re wearing a white dress, carry a piece of white chalk with you, so if there are any spills on your dress, or lipstick or make-up wipes off on it, you can always cover the marks with the chalk!
LITTLE BLACK BOOK
Dress and dresses for retinue: Designer Wendy Sing, 011 803 1405; 072 3453208
Jewellery: Bride’s own collection
Hair and make-up: Done at the hotel’s hair salon (see details below)
Venue: The Jungle Junction at the Victoria Falls Hotel, www.africansunhotels.com/victoriafallshotel
Coordination: Gertrude Khosa, +263 13 44751
Flowers & Decor: Liz Makwezwa, +263 44 99454
Cake: Supplied by hotel chef